Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Class 2007/08/01 (Wed)

Interesting class today again. I'm going to scope it in order...

Mr. Albracht talked to the previous class (children) about shuriken. I always assumed that "shuri" stood for "throwing", but apparently it means "small". I knew that "ken" is "sword", or, rather, "blade". Mr. Albracht also mentioned that it can mean "fist". He said, by the way, that unauthorized posession of shuriken or nunchaki is a felony, whereas an unauthorized posession of a gun is a misdemeanor. California is such a nazi state. But after banning .50 cal rifles by Schwarznegger, nothing can surprise me. Soon keeping my Swiss Army knife is going to be a felony.

We have a new guy, Brian. He looks like a beer drinker with a hint of a pot belly, but his upper body strength is amazing. His bridge hand strike hurt my hand through a focus mint quite a bit. I would not want to mistake his punch or otherwise let him too close, it's going to be a one strike knock-out. It was a very good reminder what you can meet in the street. Brian has a tattoo "USMC" on his right arm, so I guess he joined the school to get back in shape. I'm sure he's going to have lots of stamina once his body readjusts to excercise.

Other points
- The raising punch, like before 1920s, versus modern, corkscrew motion.
- Siddiq hurt E.J. during a kicking excercise. E.J. was holding a bridge pad, and Siddiq somehow managed to connect with E.J.'s rib cage. I hope spleen wasn't torn, or E.J. can die from internal bleeding.
- Michelle graduated from yellow to orange belt.

UPDATE: I completely forgot to report that Mr. Albrecht mentioned plans to move out of the strip mall into a separate building with an outdoor training area. This is just awesome, although I wonder if he can afford it. Our tuition is not that high, comparatively speaking. I suppose pupils can help maintaining and housekeeping the new dojo as is the custom in Japan (or so I heard).

No comments: